Rights Respecting School
We are a Silver UNICEF Rights Respecting School!
Whitefield Community Primary School aims to be a school where children’s rights are at the heart of our ethos and culture, to improve well-being and to develop every child’s talents and abilities to their full potential. As part of this plan we are working towards recognition as a ‘Rights Respecting School’, an award given to schools on behalf of Unicef UK. We have now received the ‘Silver: Rights Aware’ certificate in the UNICEF Rights Respecting Schools Award (RRSA). The Award recognised our achievement in putting the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child into practice within the school and beyond, acknowledging that children’s rights are learned, understood and lived in our school. This aligns well with our ethos, equality work and vision, by putting children’s rights at the heart of our school.
Unicef is the world’s leading organisation working for children and young people and their rights. In 1989, governments across the world agreed that all children have the same rights by adopting the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC). These rights are based on what a child needs to survive, grow, participate and fulfil their potential.
Whitefield Community Primary School pupils learn about their rights by putting them into practice every day. A Rights Respecting School models rights and respect in all its relationships. You can find out a bit more about the Convention on the Rights of the Child by visiting unicef.org.uk/crc. [or you can include one of our CRC summary leaflets from unicef.org.uk/resources and mention this here]
What have we done so far?
- We have introduced UNICEF through a whole school assembly
- We have a UNICEF Articles display in our corridor to get us all thinking about some of our rights!
- We have embedded the Articles into our curriculum, linking with our Active Citizen focus
- Posters have been put up around school, on Parent Noticeboards and in the school environment to promote it
- Teachers are planning how they will include the Article they have chosen from the UNCRC with their Active Citizen focus in Spring term
- Each teacher has a right assigned to them and they are on display in the classroom
- All of our policies are linked to a right
- All trips and visits are linked to rights.
Please see our glowing "Silver" accreditation report and our action plan for becoming "Gold".